Change of Major Policies for the Maine College of Engineering and Computing

UMaine’s College of Engineering (COE) has experienced unprecedented demand for several of its programs. In response to this demand, and in order to preserve our standards of high quality, the COE has implemented new procedures for current UMaine students who wish to change majors into and between engineering and engineering technology programs with the understanding that some engineering majors are now considered enrollment controlled.

The programs listed below are currently non-enrollment controlled:

  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Construction Engineering Technology
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering Technology
  • Engineering Physics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering Technology
  • Survey Engineering Technology

The procedures for declaring a COE major differ according to whether a program is enrollment controlled or non-enrollment controlled. Please review the application guidelines for whatever category your chosen major falls under, and follow the instructions carefully.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Niya Bond, the Academic Advising and Internship Coordinator at 207.581.2217 or

Applying to an Enrollment-Controlled Program

Enrollment controlled programs do not accept applications on a rolling basis. Instead, the College of Engineering (COE) has developed four online application deadlines for enrollment controlled programs. Those deadlines are:

  • October 15th
  • February 15th
  • May 15th 
  • August 15th

Current College of Engineering Students:

Current COE students can apply on any of the above-listed deadlines. These are students already declared in any of the following majors: bioengineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, construction engineering technology, electrical engineering, electrical engineering technology, engineering physics, mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering technology, survey engineering technology, and undeclared engineering.

Current Non-College of Engineering Students:

Any student currently enrolled in a major outside the COE, including Pre-Engineering students, must wait to apply until they meet the below admission criteria*:

Table 1: Admission Criteria for Non-Engineering Students

Engineering Programs Engineering Technology Programs
  1.  Show a cumulative and semester GPA of at least 2.0
  2. Show successful completion (C or better) of MAT 126, PHY 121 or CHY 121/123 (131/133 or equivalent)
  1. Show a cumulative and semester GPA of at least 2.0
  2. Show successful completion (C or better) in a math class, preferably MAT 111 or higher
  3. Show successful completion of a science course

*If you do not meet both of the above requirements, and you are not currently a COE student, you are not eligible for entry at this time. You should plan to wait until the next specified deadline and re-apply.

Apply Online for Enrollment-Controlled Programs :

If you are ready to submit your application and have met all of the requirements, fill out the online enrollment controlled program application to apply.

Please note:

  1. For all requests, and regardless of a deadline, preference will be given first to COE students. Thereafter, preference will be given to students with the highest academic standing, with the greatest weight placed on performances in engineering, mathematics, physics, and chemistry courses. Student statements will also be considered as they relate to demonstrated interest in the major(s).
  2. Decisions regarding entry will be emailed to students within two weeks of the application deadline. You will be notified whether you qualified or need to re-apply at a later date. If you have not heard anything about your application status three weeks after your deadline, please email Meghan Honnell,

Applying for a Non-Enrollment-Controlled Program

The College of Engineering accepts applications for non-enrollment controlled programs on a rolling basis.

Current College of Engineering (COE) students:

Students currently enrolled in any majors within the COE can submit a paper UMaine Change of Major form at any time.

Current Non-College of Engineering (COE) Students:

Students currently enrolled in majors outside the COE, including Pre-Engineering students, must still satisfy the admission criteria outlined in Table 1 in order to declare into non-enrollment controlled programs. If admission requirements are met, non-COE students can submit a paper UMaine Change of Major Form at any time.

Paper Form Required:
Regardless of whether you are a current COE student or a Non-COE student, you will need signatures from your incoming and outgoing chairs on your paper UMaine Change of Major form. Once your forms are signed and completed,  return them in-person to Meghjan Honnell or email to